TenJewel
{profile}

»Name:Lisa Cahill
»Label:TenJewel Collection / Kituchi
»Gender:Female
»Age:23
»DOB:14/03/1984
»Location:Ireland
»Blogger:23/02/07
»Full Profile

Linkage

Etsy Store Beads Website DeviantArt Wists Stylefeeder Trunkt Flickr Smidge Moo 10kVillages FreeRice

Previous
{posts}

Coming up next!
My interview with CraftasticDesigns!
Photographing your work for etsy
Whoohoo!
My interview with Spare Time Satchels!
Blog Make-over, Deviant Art and Earring Madness!
New Items & This Years Debutante Ball
My interview with Bottledupdesigns!
Featured Etsy Artist Interviews
Look what I found


February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008


SUBSCRIBE

News
{updates}
Check out my Etsy shop/s for the latest update on whats for sale.

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org



[subscribe here]
Feed (",)

Friday, August 10, 2007

Handbag addicts are in for a real treat now! DESIGNED BY DIANA is another great etsyian who sells handmade bags and purses. Diana's line has something for everyone, her work is just really impeccably well made and her designs are exclusive, trendy, stylish and distinctive with affordable price tags. What more could you ask for?.....

Tell us a bit about yourself. What is your name, label, location, & whatnot?
I’m Diana and I live in Miami, Florida. I live with my husband, our cat and our doggie. I work a day job at an international cable network, but my real passion is designed by Diana. I dream and scheme about my bags all day and when I get home the fun starts, making patterns, cutting, sewing and designing.

When did you start crafting?
I started crafting before I can remember. The first thing I remember making was painting a receiving blanket with Gonzo for my baby brother when I was six. My mom has always been a crafter and I loved to craft alongside her. My first solo project was a plastic canvas blowfish tissue holder. I loved it and think it may still be floating around my mom’s house.

Describe your craft in one word:
Hmmm... just one? Funky

Explain your craft, what drives you and your inspirations:
I make handbags because I’m a handbag addict. I just love having all sorts of bags, so I started making them to quell my addiction. I love mod and retro fabrics and patterns. I get inspired by so many things, clothing, a trip to the bookstore, an idea can come anywhere at anytime, which is why I always have a little notebook to jot them down in my bag.

What makes you different than other sellers?
My bags are unique. I try to get unique fabrics and handles to make my bags true originals.

Have you had anyone that you consider to be a mentor? Tell us about them.
Totally. I consider my grandmother to be my mentor. She has been a seamstress for over 65 years. She learned to sew and make her own patterns in Cuba and brought her craft with her to the US. She’s worked in many factories and even opened a couple of factories of her own. By the time I was born she was doing “costura a la medida” (custom fitted clothing) from her home. I would sit by the sewing machine and help her sometimes. I got the sewing bug from her. I, of course was one of her best customers. She’s made every prom dress and even my wedding dress. Her work is always of the best quality, true craftsmanship. It always looked as if you would have gotten it in a store. I aspire to have my work look as professional as her does.

Do you have a favourite product or a signature piece? Show us.
I have to say, though I love all my pieces, my Angela bag has a special place in my heart. It was the first bag I ever made and sold and was basically the beginning of designed by Diana. Here is the latest Angela bag with a cool Alexander Henry Geisha print. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5891482

If you had one piece of advice for someone just starting out, what would it be?
Love what you do, cause in the end, the money may not come, but if you love what you’re doing you will be happy no matter what. And another thing, if you want your craft business to work, you have to treat it like a business. Take it seriously, while still having fun of course, but dedicate time to it and it will get you results.

Where do you see yourself going with your craft in the future?
Eventually I’d love to see people walking down the streets in every city with one of my bags. I’ve been dreaming of having 2 designed by Diana lines, one ready-to-wear and one couture-- just like the big fashion designers.

Don’t forget to tell us where we can buy your work:
You can learn more about designed by Diana at www.designedbyDiana.com which links to my etsy store at http://designedbyDiana.etsy.com





Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


posted @ 1:32 PM
0 comments