TenJewel
{profile}

»Name:Lisa Cahill
»Label:TenJewel Collection / Kituchi
»Gender:Female
»Age:23
»DOB:14/03/1984
»Location:Ireland
»Blogger:23/02/07
»Full Profile

Linkage

Etsy Store Beads Website DeviantArt Wists Stylefeeder Trunkt Flickr Smidge Moo 10kVillages FreeRice

Previous
{posts}

Whoohoo!
My interview with Spare Time Satchels!
Blog Make-over, Deviant Art and Earring Madness!
New Items & This Years Debutante Ball
My interview with Bottledupdesigns!
Featured Etsy Artist Interviews
Look what I found
Linking Your Website back to Etsy & New for Kituchi
Briolette Earrings
Grilled Cheese


February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008


SUBSCRIBE

News
{updates}
Check out my Etsy shop/s for the latest update on whats for sale.

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org



[subscribe here]
Feed (",)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A few days ago another seller on Etsy contacted me for advice on photographing work for etsy. This is sort of hilarious if you only knew what a goofus I really am when it comes to photography. Admittedly, I’ve gotten better but a look at my sold items will reveal some very serious photography idiocy of gargantuan cringe-worthiness. Yes. Well, enough about that because I thought that I might as well post what I’ve learned about photographing your work for etsy…..

Taking pictures from different angles and getting down to the same level to take your pictures, not just holding the camera above the piece. e.g. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5710679

Using a neutral background is important. I made the mistake of using fussy backgrounds in the beginning and they really only distract from your piece. Mine were REALLY fussy. Before: http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=5643860 *cringe*Now I use natural fibre handmade paper e.g banana paper, wood etc. Just anything neutral and definitely not on a surface that reflects light. After: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6566074

Natural daylight is great and sunlight is better! I live in Ireland and it’s almost always dull, overcast and raining like hell but as soon as the sun comes out you’ll find in my garden taking photographs of my work. I love sunlight (not direct sunlight) and I use the flash too.

Zoom! Showoff the detail of your pieces and bear in mind what it will look like reduced to a thumbnail because that’s what potential buyers will see first.

Set your camera to macro and lock the focus. I have a Canon Powershot and it’s virtually always set to macro. Different cameras have different closeup capabilities but to lock the focus properly, hold the camera at an angle, zoom, position the piece {doesn’t have to be centred*, experiment a bit), press the shutter button down a bit and hold it. Now you have a focused view and you can evaluate and reposition if necessary or if you’re satisfied then push the shutter button down all the way and hold it until the flash goes off.

Hold your camera steady with both hands otherwise the photo will be blurred. Don’t be tense and rest against something if you have to. {use the tripod, if you have one}

I take lots of different photos at lots of different angles, and distances etc. and out of every 15 photos that I take I choose the best 5.

Images for Etsy must be in a jpeg format and square, at least 1000 pixels wide. *Since photos in etsy are automatically cropped to be square, when you take a photo bear in mind that a strip on each side will be cut off.

I think that you just get better at taking photos through experience and through experimentation.There’s lots more info about taking photos for etsy on the etsywiki too: http://www.etsywiki.com/index.php?title=Photos

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


posted @ 12:54 PM
0 comments